How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have loaned my family in South Africa some money a couple

This answer was rated:

Hi there, i have loaned my family in South Africa some money a couple of years ago, interest free which they now want to repay. Do i have to declare this on self assessment and will that be taxed?
Also my father wants to send me some money as a gift to cover some of my debt here in order to get in the property ladder. Do i have to declare this in self assessment and will this be taxed? I don't have to repay this. Is there a maximum limit?

Thank you for your question.

You don't have to declare this money on your self assessment tax return as this is not income and it is not taxable.

Any amount you receive as a gift is non taxable and you don't have to declare it on your tax return. There is no maximum limit on gifts.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your quick reply and explaining about the gifts. Can you please let me know in the case of the repayment of a family loan to me, which is interest free, does this have to be shown in self assessment for tax purposes?

Thank you for your reply.

NO loan repayments are to be shown in self assessment tax returns whether you are repaying the loan or the loan is being repaid to you.

Loans are not income and therefore are out of scope of income tax.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes