How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have been married for 13 years. But our current house is

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 13 years. But our current house is in my husband's name because when we moved I was self employed and my incomes couldn't be considered for the mortgage. We are now remortgaging in our joint names and have to get the house in both our names too. We've just found out we may have to pay stamp duty again due to this. The house is worth approx £450,000 and the mortgage is for £130,000. Is stamp duty due? If so how much would it be?


Can you tell me if the £130,000 mortgage will be the only mortgage on the house and that you don't own another property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be the only mortgage on the house and we don't own any other properties.Thanks


You have taken on responsibility for half the mortgage and your name is ***** ***** to the title deeds of the property. The "cash" transaction which triggers stamp duty is the mortgage. However, as half the mortgage is less than the £125,000 at which stamp duty starts, you should have none to pay. Take a look here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That's the page we read and figured that it shouldn't be due because half the mortgage is less than £125,000 but we weren't sure we read that right because it seems odd that stamp duty is on the debt and not the equity!

If you had paid a sum of cash for your share of the equity, that would be taken into account as one of the examples shows.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you