How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have started a job with Atos health care in January 2016.I

This answer was rated:

I have started a job with Atos health care in January 2016.I do not pay NI but they deducted it for 2 months. About 500 pounds. Pay roll said it is up to the tax office to refund it. Please can you advise regards ***** *****
NINO YT477834D


Can you tell me why you don't pay NIC please. Are you over the age at which you stop paying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I became eligible for state pension last July 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive tried phoning the tax office but never get through


Strictly, your employer could make an amendment under the Real Time Information rules for PAYE to have your Class 1 NI deduction refunded. However, if they won't do that all you can do is to write to the address here explaining your situation and asking for a repayment of the NIC incorrectly deducted and giving them all the information asked for in the notes. Keep a copy of your P60 and the letter and chase them up on the phone after 4 weeks.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you