How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4950
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have to pay vat on a commercial property as in error the

This answer was rated:

I have to pay vat on a commercial property as in error the VAT wasn't put on the sale price, I run a small on line business, do I have to become VAT registered for the business because of the propery.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Has the vendor issued a VAT invoice for this transaction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then unfortunately you do have to pay the VAT.

You do not have to become VAT registered over this transaction. VAT registration is only required if your turnover ie sales excluding exempt items, in any year, exceeds 83K. However, if you are not registered you will be unable to reclaim the input tax you have incurred on the purchase.

You could register voluntarily, but you would have to operate VAT on your trading for two years before you could de-register again. Furthermore, if you sell the property whilst registered you will have to charge VAT on the selling price which may make the premises unattractive to buyers who are not themselves registered.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.