How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I live in Germany but do some freelance work for a UK

This answer was rated:

Hi, I live in Germany but do some freelance work for a UK company, paid in British pounds to a UK account. The income is between 1,000 and 2,000 pounds a year. Should I declare this income in the UK at all? (My German tax advisor says no, but I'm looking for a second opinion.) And if I have to declare it, can I declare it as casual income?


Can you tell me what you do for the UK company exactly and where you do it please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I write short articles on average twice a month, paid 65 pounds each. I do it from my home in Germany (where I am also employed full time - in an unrelated industry).


There is no need to dislcose the income to the UK tax authorities. You are working on a self-employed basis from Germany and the income will be taxable there. Article 7 of the UK/Germany tax treaty here deals with business profits. You aren't working through a permanent establishment in the UK, ie you don't have an office.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you