How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I'm married to my partner who already owned her property, I

This answer was rated:

I'm married to my partner who already owned her property, I own two properties that I rent out. We want to sell my wife's property which is our main residence and purchase a new main residence, is the higher rate SDLT applicable to the purchase.


You won't have to pay the stamp duty surcharge as you are replacing your main residence with another main residence if you complete on the sale before you complete on the purchase. If you complete on the purchase before the sale, you will have to pay the surcharge. However, so long as you sell the old main residence within three years of buying the new one, you can claim a refund of the surcharge.

For the purpose of the surcharge, a married couple are treated as "one unit". Take a look here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you