How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

VAT Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details

Customer Question

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: About whether a recruitement consultant that provides a temp to an agency needs to charge VAT on T&E costs that it passes through from the consultant company - and indeed whether the consultant should charge the recruitement agency VAT on it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

If you pass the charge on but it is incurred FOR the client AND you normally charge VAT then you pass the VAY charge on - these types of costs come under the remit of disbursements

But this is a cost incurred by your temp to attend to perform duties for the client so you do NOT charge VAT

See link here re VAT and disbursements for clarification

Please let me know if you require any furtehr assistance with this matter, however if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you would rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)