How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

What is the most tax efficient way to acquire an

This answer was rated:

What is the most tax efficient way to acquire an unencumbered property from a close friend who wants to gift it to me

Thank you for your question..

If a close friend wishes to gift you an encumbered property, you would receive the gift free of tax as there is no tax on gifts. There is no upper limit on it.

Your friend has to consider CGT and IHT implications on the gift.

If the property in question is a second home or an investment property, then a transfer would be treated as a disposal and would give rise to a chargeable gain and subject to CGT.

The gift would be treated as a potentially exempt gift and the seven year rule would apply to this gift. If your friend survived for 7 full years from the date of the gift then the gifted amount would be exempt and out of scope for IHT purposes. More information on this can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you