How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14200
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have checked the value of my assets. The total is under

This answer was rated:

I have checked the value of my assets. The total is under £284k so Inheritance Tax should be no concern (DOB 09/04/1926). However, if I give cash to my 2 daughters (they could do with it now rather than later!) should those gifts be declared and, if so, where and to whom?
Should I, or my daughters, be aware of any complications/penalties that might arise if I had to go into a care home and applied to the local authority for financial assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.


Thanks for your question

You just need to make a written note of what gift you made, to whom with the date and keep this with your will so that should your estate exceed the IHT threshold, and less than 7 years lapse between the date of the gift and your passing then these can be considered.

If you make these gifts now and at a later date do need to apply to the local authority for financial assistance, then this could be treated as a depravation of capital and financial help refused. Much is dependent on how much the gifts are , and what time has lapsed between the gift and the date of any financial assisted application, so please advsie furtehr.

How much would you think of gifting and what is the state of your health now and you age.



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very grateful for your answer. In the second part you ask for more information, which I will give now:-
1) I would like to give each of my 2 daughters £5,000 (please say if you think this too much;
2) I was born on 9th April, 1926;
3) I am in good health, looking after myself, fully mobile if rather slow, driving a Honda Jazz, managing my wife's affairs with a POA, last went to my doctor's surgery about 3 months ago.
Thank you Sam in anticipation,

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response

Based on the additional information you advise

1) If you give each of your daughters £500 then this will not be treated as a deprivation of capital for IHT purposes as it a not a large amount and

2) based on the fact you are in good health at this time, then you also are not putting yourself in a lesser position with knowledge of bad health creating the need of nursing home costs met for the immediate future

For IHT purposes if your estate stays below £365,000 then these gifts will remain exempt with no Inheritance tax attracted - so all good there too

So based on the amounts you advsie this will not be an issue