How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My client has a gain of £73292 from sale of property and has

This answer was rated:

My client has a gain of £73292 from sale of property and has bought 3 new properties totalling £401958 how much of the original gain is liable to capital gains tax?


What type of properties are the one that has been sold and the three that have been bought? Was the property that has been sold ever your client's main home or a furnished holiday let? Are any of the newly acquired properties to be let as furnished holiday lets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a far as I know the original house was rented out to tenants as are the three new houses


If the house that has been sold has only ever been a buy to let property and the three new houses are also buy to let properties, then you cannot rollover the gain and defer CGT so all of the gain is taxable subject to the annual CGT exemption. The first £11,000 of net gains made in 2015/16 will be tax free and the first £11,100 of net gains made in 2016/17 will be tax free.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tony that's what I thought but needed to double check