How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14165
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I start a new job soon when I will be entered into a work

Customer Question

I start a new job soon when I will be entered into a work place pension scheme.
ThMy question is ' Do I subtract my yearly pension contributions from my taxable income before any tax is taken?e company are taking my contributions on my complete salary before tax is deducted.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on just Answer.

Yes pension contributions are taken from pre tax income, so that tax relief can be allocated against them by the pension company - thereby boosting up your side of any contributions

Then your salary is considered for any tax and national Insurance (after the monthly exemption for each is applied)

Let me know if I can assist further