How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17625
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Income from letting a room Mr A has been renting a room for

This answer was rated:

Income from letting a room
Mr A has been renting a room for tax year 2010/2011 to date.
Can you please confirm what is the rental amount that Mr A does not need to inform IR about for renting a room for each tax year starting FY10/FY11?
Confirm that rental income from renting a room is non-taxable?


I can confirm that letting a room in one's home MAY not be taxable.

In 2010/2011 a person could earn up to £4,250 a year tax-free income (or £2,125 if you're letting jointly). This is known as the Rent a Room scheme. That amount remained through 2014/2015 tax year.

The room or rooms must be in a residential premises that is situated in the State and that is occupied by an individual as his/her sole or main residence during the particular tax year. An individual may live in more than one residence but can only avail of rent-a-room relief in respect of his/her sole or main residence.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you