How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4965
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a sole trader and owe outstanding vat should I contact

This answer was rated:

I am a sole trader and owe outstanding vat should I contact them as they have written to me or should I ask an expert to contact them on my behalf?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I assume that your business turnover has exceeded to turnover level of 83K in one year. I would suggest that in disputes with HMRC you are better to employ a local, trusted professional in this matter. They can perform the necessary procedures which may reduce or eliminate any penalties and settle with that Department.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you recommend that I do not call them and reply to their letter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also yes over £83,000 turnover thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also one last thing as owing os approx £24k in your experience will hmrc give me time to pay as a sole trader?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a dispute the business has been training for approx 18 months and not paid any vat as yet due to my naivety. This is the first letter I have received from them and I now have a book keeper as I have kept all the accounts and invoices etc so can produce accurate files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trading not training

They may, better a staged payment rather than a bankruptcy and nothing! If you use a professional as | have suggested I think you will find such an agent better placed to negotiate. Unfortunately HMRC tend to the view that as you have had the money why can you not pay the tax due? A professional will be better placed in this matter. \the fact that you now have a bookkeeper will put you in a better position in negotiations, it shows a positive step forward.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.