How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a friend who is in a mess with his finances and

Customer Question

I have a friend who is in a mess with his finances and taxes... He has been homeless and doing small jobs to survive... He is starting to get back into society and is now panicking... He wants to sort out so he can register properly but doesn't know where to start and still hasn't regular work so is worried that he will end up in prison
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Unless he has committed a criminal offence there is no possibility of imprisonment. Imprisonment for debt ended in 1869 although it is possible to get banged up for up to six weeks where the debt arises from a court order. It is called a judgement Summons. Firstly, the court must be satisfied that the payer has, since the date of the order, had the means to pay the debt and secondly it must be satisfied that he has refused or neglected, or refuses or neglects, to pay the sum due [auth: Stowe Family Law LLP].

For assistance he should try National Debtline. The link is here: have good advice available also, have a look here:

I do hope that I have shown you a way forward for your friend, no finance and tax problems are insoluable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for response and reassurance... Advice so far has been bit vague on exactly how to proceed...whether he should get utr now and do this years assessment then contact about previous years
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Get this year's [15/16] done and at the same time make a note on the return, there is a box just before the declaration box, that there are earlier years not declared. If the overall income is relatively small, say below the personal allowance, and prior years similar then put that information in the note and HMRC may tell him that he does not need to declare anyway. Even that Department see no point in processing returns which yield no revenue.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site. You can still ask follow up questions after giving a rating.