How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have a pension of £12456.62 oer annum. This is what my tax

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have a pension of £12456.62 oer annum. This is what my tax free alowance of £1100 0 is applied to. My net payments are £862.26 per month. I also have a salary of £25000 which is taxed at basic rate. I think my pension is over taxed.
Please advise.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on JUst Answer.

Your pension should have small amount of tax taken from it as it is in excess of your personal allowances £12456 - £11000 = £1456 x 20% = £291.20

So you should have a gross pension of £1038 less tax £24.27 =1013.73 so on that basis I agree you are paying too much tax - however do you also have a state pension? As it would appear that you are NOT being awarded the allowances in their entirety against your pension, or do you have another source of income such as rental income or investment income or another pension? Or owe tax from a previous tax year?

If not then you will need to telephone HMRC (and I recommend as soon after 8am or as close to 8pm so that you get through straight away) and ask them to reissue the correct tax cod against your pension, Then any tax overpaid will be repaid back along with your next pension payment.

Do let me know if I can assist further



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you