How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17639
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I live abroad, Italy. However, I am a British Subject and

This answer was rated:

I live abroad, Italy. However, I am a British Subject and have a bank account in the UK. I want to start working online by doing graphics and illustrations for customers in various countries of the world. I would have them pay via PayPal that is linked to my account card. I would like to know the amount of tax and vat I would have to pay.
Thank you.


Italy as your base of business operations has a VAT standard rate of 22% (this is suppose to increase to 24$ in 2017).

Freelancing is the simplest way to be self-employed in Italy. Once you have registered your company you will receive your VAT number.

If you live in Italy but less than 183 consecutive days over a 12-month period, you pay tax only on the income you earned in Italy. If you are living in Italy fulltime then you pay tax in Italy on all your income.

The rate is dependent on your profit. It could be 23% to 43% based on your actual income amounts.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the situation in Italy. Italy would not be my base of operations as I would be working online. What I'd like to know is, I as a British subject with a UK bank account on which I would deposit my eventual earnings but moving round the world and working with different countries online, what would I have to pay as tax and vat? Would the 23% to 43% be on gross income or net?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

You woudl not be subject to UK tax as long as your business activity and you are outside the UK.

If you’re non-resident, you don’t pay UK tax on income or gains you get outside the UK.