How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17640
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I receive state pension. I haven't had tax code notices

This answer was rated:

I receive state pension. I haven't had tax code notices since I retired in 2011. The last one was 89P 2012-2013. My husband has recently died and has passed some of his pension on to me. I now have a tax code of 1100L M1 which I understand is an emergency code. Do I have to inform HMRC ? Will there be any consequences, of will they adjust my code?


The M1 means your tax is based only on what you are paid in the current pay period, not the whole year. You are correct it is an emergency code.

The pension provider tells HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about the change to your situation. HMRC sends a new tax code to the pension provider. Once they’ve got it, they’ll use it to work out how much tax to take from your payments from the next time they pay you.

You will get a tax code notice telling you the new code. You only need to then contact HMRC if you think the new code is incorrect.

TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you