How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a Dutch national who has been working in the Middle

This answer was rated:

hi there, I am a Dutch national who has been working in the Middle East (oil industry) for a long time. My kids have just finished their A-levels in the UK and are going to a uni in the UK. I want to get some of my savings into the UK and buy an apartment for them. However I can only transfer the money when I am on holiday in the UK in September. I have no ties to the UK (house, cars or otherwise), except the schooling of my kids and a bank account that was opened a long time ago. Is there a risk the UK tax man will charge me on the remittance of money into the UK as income? If so would it help to be physically out of the UP for 2 days during the remittance into my account.

Hello Robert, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The moneys earned in the Middle East would not, even if you were an UK citizen and had gone through the correct procedure on departure, be liable to UK taxation. There is no risk that any transfer of funds to your UK bank account (check with the bank that the account is still active) will be subject to UK taxation. If the sum to be transferred is substantial you should warn the bank of incoming funds and their source to head off any money laundering inquiries a large tranche attract.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Keith, thanks for your answer. I am still a bit puzzled why returning expat Brits insist that they have to remit any money earned overseas to the UK, before they return themselves. Several of my friends have taken a week's holiday, making absolutely sure their savings from abroad arrived ahead of them. Now I know I will not return properly to the UK and will only be there for a short period of time on holiday, but their actions definitely worried m. Any comments?
Regards, Robert

It is always a good idea to make the transfer before you leave the Middle East. It removes any taxation queries, that is why ex pats do it. It is what I always recommend. If you are registered as non resident you may spend up to 91 days in any one tax year without infringing your status.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.