How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Im a widow and just started receiving my pension from my

This answer was rated:

Im a widow and just started receiving my pension from my husbands pension. My state pension has also increased increasing my annual income from pensions to £35000 per annum. I'm alarmed about the amount of tax that's been deducted. Basically do not understand tax on pensions.

Thank you for your question.

Please advise what tax code has been applied to pensions you receive.

Is your total income £35,000?

many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
169L X yes my income is £35,000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BR (M1)

Thank you for your reply.

State pension is taxable although one receives it tax free.

Your total income is above your personal allowance and it appears your other pensions are covered by your personal allowance before adding pension from your late husband's pension. Any additional income is attracting tax at basic rate as your total income is within the threshold of basic rate tax of 20%.

Tax code BR stands for tax at basic rate.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions,please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks

Thank you for your reply.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you