How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Earlier this year I was contacted by a company that said

This answer was rated:

earlier this year I was contacted by a company that said they could claim some tax back for me.
I am a HGV driver, so I can claim for my expenses.
They claimed on the previous 4 years and I received a tax refund. They charged me 40% for this!
I would like to know if I can fill out my own self assessment for the last tax year and save the 40%. If the answer is yes, how can I find out how to do this?

Thank you for your question.

Do you have a copy of the tax return for last year?

Do you have tax deducted at source?

many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have a copy of anything they did. I am full time employed so I pay tax weekly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am registered for self assessment if this helps.

Thank you for your reply..

There are special allowances for lorry drivers who regularly travel and are away overnight.

Tax free allowance on claiming subsistence for the night. There are two rates whether you have a sleeper cab or not.

The current tax free amount is

Without sleeper cab £34.90

With sleeper cab £26.20

You can also claim for incidental overnight expenses to cover laundery and phning home upto £5 per night.

More information on the above can be found here

and here

I hope this ishelpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your response. What I need to know is how to fill out my tax return with these figures and other expenses.
I have self assessment software but I don't know where to put the figures.

Thank you for your reply..

You need to input your figures in box 17 (business travel and subsistence expenses) of employment page.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was helpful, Thank you.How much would you charge to draft a tax return for me so I can copy the figures to my software. Not a full tax return, just expenses I have incurred, washing uniform, subsistence etc. All the right figures in all the right boxes.

Thank you for your reply.

I can offer this as an additional service and I am forwarding it for your consideration.

Many thanks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for accepting my offer and answer.

You can send your working schedules here as an attachment.

many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are working schedules?

Thank you for your reply

What I mean by working schedules is a schedule listing days overnight stay etc etc

You can call me if you need clarification I have provided my contact number.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2015 - 2016
I got paid £22.50 per night out and £9.45 meal allowance.
I have a sleeper cab and spent 92 nights away from home.
£4 per week to wash my uniform.
I bought a new sat nav at £399.99.
New bedding £60.00.
Gas £25.89.

Please clarify for me

When you say you got paid £22.50 per night out and £9.45 meal allowance -- is this what your employer paid you? .. please advise your contact number within "enter contact info" and I will call you.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is what my employer paid me.