How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5148
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Personal tax Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more

This answer was rated:

personal tax
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I am a UK citizen but have lived in the Middle East for 18 years and am thinking of returning to the UK. I don't have any assets or income in the UK so am a non resident. my question is if I do return before 6th April 2017 would I be liable for tax for the previous tax year?

Thank you for your question..

If you return to the UK to take up permanent residency here before 6 Apr 2017 (in the current tax year), your income prior to date of arrival would not be chargeable to UK income tax. Your income/earnings once you are here would be within the scope of income tax as you would become UK resident for tax purposes.

More information on Split year treatment can be found on pages 51 onwards of RDR3 here

I hope this ishelpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes