How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I took a joint mortgage out with my son in November 2005 as

This answer was rated:

I took a joint mortgage out with my son in November 2005 as his salary did not qualify for a lone mortgage. He paid the mortgage up to 2012 when he moved away for his job. I then took over paying for the mortgage and changed the mortgage to allow it to be rented to my sons friend from August 2012. I included the letting income and costs etc in my annual tax return. My son now is getting married next year and wishes to sell the flat and buy a house. Where do I stand on capital gains tax when the property is sold?


Can you confirm that the flat has always been jointly owned between you and your son? Is your name on the title deeds as well as your son's? If that is the case, will you be taking 50% of any gain that may be made on the disposal of the flat? Did he live there from November 2005 to the time in 2012 when he moved away for job purposes? When in 2012 was that exactly? Was it his job at the time that made him move away? Was that still in the UK? Is he likely to return to live in the flat? Is it still let? Can you confirm that you never lived in the property? What was the cost of the flat? How much is it worth now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flat has always been jointly owned and I am on the mortgage/deeds.
I will not be taking any of the gain - all gain wil be going to him for the deposit on new house, solicitors fees, loan pay off etc.
He lived there Permanately from Nov 2005 to July 2012, he moved away to work in sOuth London and rented a place.
He will not move back into the flat before selling it, his friend is still renting, I have always done 6 monthly leases the current on ends in January 2017.
I have never lived in the flat
The flat cost £138,000 the value now is around £220,000


How far away is the flat from the job location in South London?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a paramedic on the ambulances and he is based in Kennington South London, however when he started he was training in Lambeth and then he was 'strapping' at different ambulance stations all over South London on shift work and he could not get to work travelling from the flat in Watford for different shifts.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Tony

You might refer to HS283 which deals with the man residence and CGT.

Your son may have qualified for absence relief as it is impractical for him to live in Watford and work as a paramedic in South London on shifts. However, he would need to re-occupy the property before selling it to qualify for that relief. He could try to claim that his job still prevents him from living in Watford but as he can claim letting relief instead, there is no need. His CGT position is as follows:

Gain £41,000 (£220,000 - £138,000 / 2)

Total period of ownership: 133 months (to November 2016 say)

Total period of owner occupation: 81 months

Total period of letting: 52 months

Exempt gain: £30,519 (£41,000 / 133 x 99 (81 months + last 18 months)

Non-exempt gain: £10,481 (£41,000 / 133 x 34 (52 months - last 18 months)

Taxable gain:£10,481

Letting relief: £10,481 (lesser of £40,000, £30,519 and £10,481)

Net taxable gain: £0

Your son should have no CGT to pay.

The only relief you will qualify for is the annual CGT exemption of £11,100 so you will have a net taxable gain of £29,900 (£41,000 - £11,100). There are two rates of CGT on residential property, 18% and 28%. The rate or combination of those two rates that you will pay will be dependent on the level of your income in the tax year the flat is sold. So, the CGT cannot exceed £8,372 (28%). That would be the case if your gross income was £43,000 or more.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony,
How does this work regarding our tax returns as I have been the only one declaring the letting on my tax return so do I declare the sale on my return only for next year ( I have been doing the self assessment on line).
As I understand it from your answer my son will have nothing to pay however I will be liable for around £8,372 on next years return as am over the higher threshold regarding earnings?

As father and son, you can choose how to split the rental income for tax purposes regardless of the ownership proportions of the property.

You both need to disclose your respective shares of the gain, albeit that your son will have no CGT liability. He should use form SA1 to register for self-assessment. You will have a CGT liability. If your income was £40,000, for example, then £3,000 of your net taxable gain would be liable to CGT at 18% (£43,000 - £40,000 with the balance being taxable at 28%. If your income alone is £43,000 or more, then you will pay CGT at 28% on the whole of the net taxable gain unless you make personal pension contributions which would serve to extend your basic rate tax band.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be confused but will my CGT liability be around £8,500 or 28% of the total profit less the £11,100 annual allowance.
As the rent we charge his friend doesn't even cover the mortgage let alone the service charges.

The excess letting expenses cannot be deducted from the gain.

As I said in my last post, if your income (excluding the gain) is £43,000 or more, you should pay CGT at 28%. However, personal pension contributions will reduce your income for tax purposes and that may mean you may pay some CGT at 18%.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Tony for being a pain - I am a retired police officer and receive a police pension however on top of that I work for another company and have been paying into their final salary pension for the last 9 years. I take it occupational pensions do not qualify in this case? -only private pension schemes - and I would have to pay the 28% on the £ 40,000 giving me a CGT bill of £ 8,500.
Many thanks

All your taxable income is taken into account in determining what rate or rates of CGT you pay. If the pension contributions you are making are taken off your pay, then your income from that source will automatically be reduced for tax purposes. If you make pension contributions direct to a pension scheme of your own, then they would need to be taken into account in the calculation of your income for CGT purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks TOny


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you