How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been cohabiting with my partner for more than 10

This answer was rated:

I have been cohabiting with my partner for more than 10 years but have claimed the single persons discount on council tax as I have not declared him living here.l would like to declare him and pay back the discount to the council.The council have written to me asking me to complete a single discount form or they will withdraw this discount from 1st April 2016.Ihave until the end of this month to do so.I will not complete this and wish to pay the full amount to them in the next few days.How much digging around will the council do?My partner does not have a previously registered address.
I wish to come clean and would like to know how to proceed.
Thank you.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Just contact them either via the telephone or by letter - advising that you no longer wish to claim single persons discount and advsie them effective from which date you wish this withdrawn, which ideally should be from 10 years ago.

The council will then recalculate what you owe along with interest charges

If you just make the declaration from now - they are more likely to ask for evidence as you are doing this instead of filling in the claim form, which will alert more suspicion then you having done this mid year, and I am sure you can appreciate for me to encourage you to declare any date than the correct date, would see me not doing my job properly

Let me know if I can assist further



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you