How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My mother was living in my home and I borrowed £50k from her

This answer was rated:

My mother was living in my home and I borrowed £50k from her in 2013.
When I moved home 9 months ago, I paid back £23,500 and my mother was happy to write off the remainder (£26,500). So the original loan was destroyed in February 2016. My mother then died unexpectedly in March. We are currently completing the Probate forms and this amount is declared on the Inland Revenue form by the solicitor.
However, how do I put this amount onto individual tax return at the end of the FY 16/17 and what tax will I have to pay on this amount?


The reason that the £26,500 is being included in the probate forms is because that part of the original loan which was forgiven by your late mother became a gift within seven years of her death. Unless your mother made gifts in excess of the nil-rate band for IHT of £325,000 (or up to £650,000 if she was a widow and her late husband did not fully utilise his nil-rate band) in the seven years before her death, your gift will escape IHT as the nil-rate band is first used against gifts made in the seven years before death.

As far as your personal tax situation is concerned, you don't need to disclose the gift in your tax return as it isn't taxable on you.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you Tony. I was under the impression that I would have to pay 20% income tax on it via my self assessment. So just to confirm that I do not have to disclose it on my Self Assessment Form - at all in 2016/17?

No, you don't.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

Hi again.

I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you