How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14155
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I run a sports massage business and am looking to set up a

Customer Question

I run a sports massage business and am looking to set up a business, how do I find out if I am a VAT exempt business (that falls under medical for instance) or do I need to register to be VAT exempt because my income is below £83,000. I need to be VAT exempt so I don't pay VAT on my rent and am not sure on the best means of doing so.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

You will not be medical unless endorsed and run under the NHS rules - which this does not seem to be how this will be run

So your supplies will not be exempt but if your turnover is less than £83,000 then you do NOT need to register if you are below this limit but even if you were registered you would not ever pay VAT on rent - so please ask further if you need clarification on this