How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7512
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a UK resident since birth and pay tax in the UK. I have

Customer Question

Hi. I am a UK resident since birth and pay tax in the UK. I have just set myself up as a consultant and I am doing a four week piece of advisory work for a US firm. One of four weeks i was working int heir US head office and the remaining three weeks I have been working from home in the UK. They have asked me to complete a W8 form for the one week of work I performed in the US. They have said they cannot advise me on which W8 form to complete or how to complete it! I have been doing my own research and I think for an individual like me, not wrapped in a limited company or associated with any trading entity of any kind, then I need to complete a W-8BEN. If this is correct, then where I am stuck is whether I need to provide a 'Foreign tax identifying number' and if so what is this in UK parlance? And then my next question is do I need to complete part 2 and if yes, what 'Article' am i claiming against and what is the % amount I provide for the rate of withholding tax? Looks like I also need to provide a justification in part 2 also if it completed? Please advise. Then finally do I submit this as an expense in my UK tax return or is there a special section to say I have worked abroad? Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


I can advsie on the UK side of matters but you will need to list a new question on the USA side of Just Answer.

Do you wish to proceed?