How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I will be moving to France in September and will be renting

This answer was rated:

I will be moving to France in September and will be renting by uk property, so the rental income will be subject to 20% tax (since I have only worked 6 months in uk this year, I am in the basic income tax bracket).
My nephew is 17 years old and not in employment so has no income to report this tax year. If the rent is paid directly by the estate agent to him, will he have to declare it or pay any tax ? The rent received will be £1100 pcm so £6600 until the end of this tax year.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.


Unless your nephew has a share of the ownership of the property, the rental income will be taxable on you regardless of what you do with it. Joint owners of property who aren't married to one another or in a civil partnership can split rental income however they wish regardless of the ownership proportions but there has to an ownership interest.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The answer is clear and confirms what I had suspected.


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

I trust you are aware of the non-resident landlord scheme. Take a look here for more information.

Even though you will be non-UK resident, you will be entitled to the personal allowance to use against your rental income.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you