How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17218
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am a UK citizen who is the beneficiary of a

This answer was rated:

I am a UK citizen who is the beneficiary of a After-Tax-Annuity taken out in the US.
As the UK has tax treaty benefits with the US do I pay tax on the above and if so, at what percentage please?

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

A US annuity started with taxed income would mean that the earnings are taxable but not the initial investment.

An annuity is treated like a pension, you would have 30% withheld for tax on the earnings portion. Non Resident US persons are taxed at 30% for US sourced income.

Under the treaty a pension from the US source is taxable in the US.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you