How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I need urgently to make a decision about whether I stay or

This answer was rated:

hi - I need urgently to make a decision about whether I stay or leave my job. I have an offer of a job abroad which will take me out of the UK tax jurisdiction. Even though the new job is tax free, the difference is marginal when I look at cost of living etc. There is one factor which I need expert advice on however - what rebate of tax will I get for 2016/7 if I leave now ? I am a PAYE employee and my current salary is gross 93K, and I would be leaving by the end of October (i.e. month 7 ) - what rebate would I get ? Does rebate include pro- rata on National Insurance contributions ?

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Can you give me your projected earnings and tax deduction to the end of October 2016 please. Do you have any employment benefits such as company car or private medical insurance? What tax code are you on at present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony. I don't have this information to hand - however I have no other benefits. You might also answer this related question please. I came to the UK in November of last year (2015) to work after having lived and worked in Saudi Arabia for 4 years where I was tax exempt. I never worked in the UK before, and my salary (93k p.a.) appears to have been taxed in year 1 (6 months Nov-April) as if I had worked for the full year (i.e. my monthly deductions were the same for the 6 months as they would have been had I worked 12 months). Am I entitled to any rebate for 2015/6?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tax code is 1100L
At end of October my YTD earnings will be 46500 (I took one month unpaid leave). My YTD tax deducted at end October will be 12296

Even though you only worked in the UK from November 2015 to April 2016, you are still entitled to a full personal allowance for 2015/16 of £10,600. If you didn't call HMRC to have your tax code checked, you may have been on a Month 1 code which means that each month is dealt with in isolation and there is no accumulation of personal allowance as the year progresses. By the end of September 2016, you should get a P800 tax calculation which will show whether you are underpaid or overpaid. You could try to accelerate this by calling the tax office on the number here and asking them to review your 2015/16 tax postion and to tell you where you stand. You are probably due 7 months of unused personal allowance of £6,183 (£10,600 /12 x 7) but unless I have the actual P60 fgures for gross pay and tax deducted, I'm reluctant to give you a figure as I don't know how you were taxed in the period to 5 April 2016.

Based on the 2016/17 earnings and tax figures, you will be due a repayment of £4,496 if you leave your job at the end of month 7 and leave the UK. If you do leave the UK, complaete a P85 to get the overpaid tax back.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony - I will get those figures and send to you. Much appreciated.


TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you