How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am going to build a small house on land I own, and rent it

This answer was rated:

I am going to build a small house on land I own, and rent it out to supplement my pension.
As its a new build ,can I claim back the vat element of the build costs ?
David Barker

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Unless it is your intention to live in the property yourself or it will be occupied by relatives, you cannot reclaim the VAT on the materials I'm afraid. Take a look here and here for more information.

Clearly, you cannot be expected to live in the property for the rest of your life necessarily but there is no set period that you need to live there. However, you should not advertise it for letting whilst you are in the process of the build as that will almost certainly scupper a claim if HMRC get wind of it.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very informative thank you


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you