How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4941
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm filling in my self assessment tax return. I don't know

This answer was rated:

I'm filling in my self assessment tax return. I don't know what to put in the self-employed boxes. I am employed but just do a little self-employed work occasionally. Can you help me please?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I am working on your question and you will have my reply in a few moments.

It is really very simple, you just put your small self employment income in the relevant boxes on a Supplementary Page SA103.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does income include the travelling expenses I that the client paid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about allowable business expenses? How can I work out what is appropriate?

No travelling expenses are not taxable save for regular residence to place of work where a consistency test is appropriate.

Normal allowable expenses wholly and exclusively used in relattion to your self employment can be deducted from your takings. These include [source: Gov UK web site]:

'These include:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand. Whats a consistency test?Allowable expenses - e.g. I work 4 days on a self-employed basis - that's it. Just 4 days through the year. HMRC say I can claim for fuel, motor costs, insurance - but how do I work out what is appropriate for such a small amount? Is it worth it?
What about the business part of using my car or my 'office' at home?

If you do the journey on a regular basis like every day it becomes residence to place of duty and not allowable against income for tax purposes.

The best way to deal with the use of the car is to award yourself 45p a mile from your self employment income. This rate is calculated to cover both running and capital costs. It is probably not worth claiming for one room in your home for office use.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The way my job works is that my client pays my mileage travel costs at 45p a mile. This is included on my invoice to them. I don't award it to myself out of the income. But from what you say, I should only put my fee for interpreting services on the self-assessment form, and not the mileage that I was paid back for? Please confirm I've understood this correctly.Secondly, about allowances - I don't really have any expenses - just using my own car to get to wherever I'm booked, and just using my own computer and phone to organise bookings and send invoices etc. So is it best not to claim anything for allowances?

Correct, just your interpreting fee needs to be declared.

Possibly, if the sum consumed is small. Personally, I would claim for every penny I expended!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Got that now!
How do I work out costs for my car/ petrol/ computer/ phone for just 4 self-employed bookings in the year? I agree with you about claiming for every penny, but I just don't know how to work out how many pennies I should claim for? How do I actually do that?

IT's 45 per mile for car usage, just keep a mileage record.

Extract telephone call usage from your phone bill.

Use a proportion of your computer capital cost. Say you paid 1K for it and use it for 6 days then 6/365 = 1.64% of 1K is the relevant cost to set agianst income.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I'm still confused. My clients paid me for petrol costs at 45p a mile. I therefore won't be adding it as an allowable business expense, will I?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer costs you've mentioned make sense. However, I didn't buy it in the last year. I've had the same computer for several years, so doesn't that effect it?
About broadband or electricity - these would be so hard to try to work out, is it worth putting anything?

No, for tax purposes you will ignore it and merely declare your fees net of motor mileage.

As far as the computer is concerned not at all. I was given the laptop I use for JA activities! As I said it probably isn't worth claiming the office type expenses.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. well I think I understand better now. thanks for trying to explain.

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.