How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My wife and I would like to gift some money to our daughter.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I would like to gift some money to our daughter. In the context of IHT and the seven year rule do we need to specify whether the gift is from me or from my wife?

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

You should keep a record of gifts you make whether they are joint or not. As you and your wife each have your own nil-rate bands, then you should specify who makes any particular gift. Joint gifts by parents are normally seen as being made on a 50:50 basis but that's not always the case. You can find a list of exempt gifts here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.


I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you