How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14166
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am not allowed in the town where my house is, so by law I

Customer Question

I am not allowed in the town where my house is, so by law I am not allowed in my own home am I exempt from council tax on that property which was un occupied empty and now sold
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

As a general rule - no there would not be an exemption but each council has the ability to use its own discretion so I would write to your specific council providing evidence of the fact you were not permitted to occupy this property and ask them to consider applying an exemption as you had no choice but to live elsewhere.