How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7509
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I left my job in March this year. I have just received a

Customer Question

I left my job in March this year. I have just received a letter from HMR to say I have underpaid tax by £5000 for 2015/16.
The company I worked for paid my tax and I am now retired. Do I have to pay this tax or is my company liable for not sorting this out when I was employed by them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Could you advsie the pay and tax you suffered in 2015/2016 did you have a lump sum payment when you ceased - did you have any company benefits such as a car?

I can then see if there is scope to appeal to HMRC and argue employer error.



Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


Please let me know if I can assist further