How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4783
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have one property in London and lived in it for 27 years

This answer was rated:

I have one property in London and lived in it for 27 years up to 2013. When I decided to go travelling.
To fund my travels I rented the property. I know wish to return to the property, sell it and buy another to live out the rest of my days.
Could you please tell me my liability for CGT?
Would it be better to just move back and live in the original property?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please what do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Best route for me to take

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Supposing you sold in 2017 then 3 / 30 less the last 18 months (you are deemed to be in residence for the last 18 even if this is not the case) = 5% of any gain you make on the sale will be subject to CGT. The gain is the difference between the disposal and the acquisition price. The former is net ie after deduction of selling costs including advertising whilst the former is the buying price plus costs of purchase including Stamp Duty plus and improvements eg installation of double glazing, central heating, extensions etc but not routine maintenance. Once this has been calculated you deduct your Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.1K plus Lettings Relief (LR) up to 40K and the balance will be taxed at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gain in the tax year of sale. You can now see that this is likely to be a relatively small sum.

There is no need to move back in and re-occupy. Your residence before letting opens the door to LR.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Keith. I bought the property for £42000 and it is likely to go for £350000. Mates is not my strong suit, could you please give me a figure?
If I did move back how long would I need to stay to avoid CGT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was Math

350K - 42K = 308K gain, 5% is 15.4K. Less the AEA leaves 4.3K exposed to CGT so, even if you do not get lettings relief, the maximum exposure would be some 1.2K of tax due. I suspect that LR will knock that out anyway.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Keith. Top man. Not to painful

Thank you for your support, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, isn't it!

And your kind bonus.