How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am a director of limited company currently contracting,

This answer was rated:

I am a director of limited company currently contracting , also i got a permanent opportunity with another employer. I had taken P45 from my limited company and on payroll with the permanent employee.
As i am having earning from my limited company through contracting which is VAT registered
salary from permanent employee (NI and PAYE is deducted from this employee).
How should i be paying tax to be compliant with HMRC .
Can you please give me your number so that i can call you.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

I cannot give you my phone number but if you want a telephone call it does incur an extra charge. Can you tell me how you wish to proceed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First give answer my question in mail


I'm not clear on what you perceive the problem to be given what you have said. Can you elaborate a little please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am director of limited company which is VAT registered still doing contracting work. Took P45 from my company so not taking any salary as paye.I also working simultaneously as permanent employee for another company taking salary.Need advise how should I be paying my tax on the earning which I have through my limited company? Is it legal as per HMRC to be working that way ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.


I'll type my answer and them you can decide whether you want a phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK please type the response

There is nothing wrong with having your own company and working for another employer at the same time. You simply hand your P45 from your own company to your new employer who will use it to work out the tax and NIC you pay on your earnings at that company. The money your company is earning from contracting is the company's money and you will only have tax to pay if you take dividends from the company and that tax you will pay after the end of the tax year through your self-assessment tax return. I have clients who have run their own company's who have taken a job working for someone else whilst their own company is still active so its not uncommon at all. Many directors take dividends as opposed to salary. That is legitimate. If, however, you are concerned about IR35 compliance, you should consult your accountant. The fact that you have take another job changes nothing as far as your own company is concerned.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IR35 compliance what does it mean by. What things should I check with my accountant

Can you tell me whether your own company has more than one contracting client please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only one client at the moment for my limited company.


There are some notes on IR35 here. It is far too complex a subject to go into any detail on here but the notes give you an idea as to what HMRC are looking for. Whether your own company would be caught by IR35 depends on your company's relationship with your contracting client. This is why I asked you at the beginning what you felt your problem was because if you think there is a problem simply because you are running a limited company as well as working as an employee for another company, I can tell you that there is no such problem. Your accountant will tell you that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a IT contractor my agency recruited for me for a bank. I raise invoice for the contract work I do with my limited company. It's been happening for more than 1 year.

Hopefully, the contract between your company and the bank has been drawn up to be compliant with IR35 so as not to cause you a tax and NIC problem. However, it would be worth having an expert on IR35 compliant contracts take a look at it. There is some guidance here.


I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have checked with my accountant she said I will be compliant as am a contractor not an employee. Just for peace of mnd with your experience can you check my contract agreement, I can attach the contract agreement.

I'll take a look if you upload it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will upload hope the data I share is confidential and is only visible between both of us.

I would suggest you blank out names.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony, I am blacking out my contract agreement and will send you shortly. In the meantime can you check my payslip from my new employer which he given me. can you check if the income tax , employee NI , employer NI has been deducted correctly please ?. Also Is there any way i can check if my employer paid the taxes to HMRC which is shown on my payslip please ? My annual Gross salary is 45000 pounds per annum.

The tax and NIC deductions are fine. If you call the tax office I don't think they will tell you whether the deductions have bee paid over to them as the deductions they pay over won't only be for you if there are other employees. Even if they didn't, you will get credit so keep your payslips.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I came to know now the payroll system is online , the moment payslip is generated automatically hmrc will know how much tax the employer has to pay for that employee and the employer has to pay the Ni and paye tax every month ?cannot I not check the status by telling hmrc my tax code.?

That's correct. The figures have to be reported on the payday. I've never tried it so all I can suggest is you call the tax office and ask them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trusting you attaching the contract as it is :) please check if its IR compliant.
Regarding the payslip will i be held accountable to HMRC for paying taxes if my employer avoids paying tax ? sorry for asking so many questions as i am new to this taxations in uk :(

I'll look at the contract tomorrow.

You can't be held accountable for PAYE deductions not paid over to HMRC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you good night

Good night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mate,Any luck have you got chance to look at my documentThanks,

I have to say I'm not an expert on IR35 contracts or how they are put together but based on what I do know from seeing contracts and from what I've read in the past such as what is here I cannot see any problems.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you mate appreciate your support :)

Thanks and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a small understanding what is taxable gross pay 7500 income on my payslip which I shared how did it came. My total yearly gross pay is 45000.

You earn £3,750 per month before tax. I can only surmise that your gross pay to date is £7,350 because your first month was slightly less than a full month.