bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am selling my house that has been in my sole name and am

Hi, I am selling my house that has been in my sole name and am moving to another property that will continue to be in my sole name. There is no mortgage involved in the transaction.
I got married 3 years ago and my wife has 50% part ownership in her previous married name with the local council on a flat. She currently rents the flat and pays tax on the income.
I have been told by the solicitor that I will have to pay an additional stamp duty tax taking the cost up by £10,000 . On the government site it asks if I am replacing main residence my solicitor says no and I say yes. Can you please provide some advice that clarify the position.
Thanks for your assistance.
m not replacing my main residence wh

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Were You are replacing your sole or main domestic residence. If you own the old and the new simultaneously then the 3% surcharge will apply, but if you dispose of the old withing 18 months of the purchase of the new you can reclaim the surcharge from the Stamp Office. If you own two residences the surcharge cannot be reclaimed.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site,

I would be delighted to converse with you. Unfortunately I am responding to your question from a time zone 6 hours ahead of BST so the exercise would be a tad expensive!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK then maybe an on-line consultation will help

No problem, ask on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am selling my house that has been in my sole name and am moving to another property that will continue to be in my sole name. There is no mortgage involved in the transaction.I got married 3 years ago and my wife has 50% part ownership in her previous married name with the local councilon a flat. She currently rents the flat and pays tax on the income.I have been told by the solicitor that I will have to pay an additional stamp duty tax taking the cost up by £10,000 . On the government site it asks if I am replacing main residence my solicitor says no and I say yes. Can you please provide some advice that clarify the position.

I have already answered your question.

Thank you for your support.