How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5143
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I invested 100k 3 years with a friend in a commercial

Customer Question

I invested 100k 3 years with a friend in a commercial property.
He bought the property in his name/company with a mortgage and developed it.
It was sold recently and I got £150k back. Does my profit qualify for Capital Gain
tax and do I report it within my annual return?
Thanks, Simon.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Your gain on investment is chargeable to CGT and you would claim gains annual allowance of £11,100 against the gain and the rest would be charged at CGT rate of 10%, 20% or a combination of both depending on your total taxable income in the tax year including the gain.

You report the gain on supplementary pages SA108 - Capital Gains summary when you file your tax return.

More information on capital gains reporting can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.