How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5143
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I use my own car for business and I receive £450 per month

This answer was rated:

I use my own car for business and I receive £450 per month as a car allowance from my employer. I am taxed on this amount. I also have a fuel card from my employer which is on my P11D as a fuel card expense total £1619. I did 12306 miles for the financial year in question. Would I be entitled to tax relief?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question..

Please advise if all mileage stated was business use. If not, what was business mileage?

Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mileage stated is business use

Sarah, thank you for your prompt reply.

You can claim mileage allowance for business miles stated in your question. First 10,000 miles at 45p per mile and each mile over this number at 25p per mile.

When you complete employment section of your tax return report mileage claim in box 17 - business travel and subsistence. A copy of SA102 can be viewed here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been advised to complete a p87 form for tax relief not the sa102??

Thank you for your reply.

Your claim is for some £5,077 (12,306 miles).

Form P87 is used if your claim for allowable expenses is for £2,500 or less.

More information on this can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you