How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have been offered a role in Singapore, my wife will be

This answer was rated:

I have been offered a role in Singapore, my wife will be staying in the UK working down to her retirement
I will still have Property interests in the UK ( my main home and an apartment in Manchester.
I will be receiving a payment under a settlement agreement ( voluntary redundancy) end of October 2016.
I need to understand how to arrange tax matters, and do I get a rebate for 2016 tax paid since I an permanently moving to Singapore?
need help with resolving all UK tax issues

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question..

You state you will be receiving a payment under settlement agreement end of Oct 2016. When do you propose to leave for Singapore.

Would you be visiting the UK after your departure and how often?

Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My contract is sign with a commencement date of 14th November, although they are pushing for me to start earlier - Could possibly be starting on 17th OctoberI will rarely visit - my grand pan is to retire in Australia.. if I was to return it would be for a holiday .. my employment contact in Singapore is a permanent one.

Thank you for your reply.

Provided your days in the UK are limited once you leave this country to take up permanent employemnt in Singapore, you would become non resident for tax purposes after departure date.

You need to complete form P85 to advise HMRC of your departure etc. This would enable the tax office to update your records and sort out any tax payable/repayable up to date of leaving.

More information on P85 form can be found here

Attached is a link that covers general guidance on Statutory Residence Test to determine UK tax residence for individuals for tax income tax and capital gains tax purposes. For the current tax year you have been resident here for more than 183 days and therefore split year treatment will apply in your case. (read pages 3 and 4).

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My settlement agreement says I am an employee until 31st October, although not required to travel to work but be available on phone for advise and support. - now my new employers are looking for me to start on the 17th September in Singapore - so there is a bit of a cross over - what impact does this have?
as part of the settlement agreement I have a PION of about 17K which is taxable, and other allowances because of company car .. would I get this rebated ??
I have a flat in Manchester and a main home in southend - which I will keep are there any issues around this from a tax perspective ?
also I would like to maintain NI paymentsI also have a pension - new employers do not offer one - if I wanted to continue to contribute is there any benefit in doing this

Thank you for your reply.

You will send your P45 to the tax office when you complete form P85. the earnings from UK employment would attract UK tax but once you have left the UK for overseas employment, this would not be chargeable to UK income tax.

Your rebate would take into account all income to date of leaving and tax suffered on it. There should be a rebate as you will get full year personal allowance.

The properties should not be an issue other than the fact if you have rental income, it would be chargeable to UK tax and you would have to claim foreign tax credit relief against it in your new country of residence.

Maintain NI payments on a voluntary contribution basis is no problem.

If this is a pensonal pension, then you get tax relief if there is earned income (employment/self employement) You may wish to talk with a pension expert (IFA on this subject).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just one more thing - I have read the pdf doc, pg 3, 4 - not clear on the ties.. so I will be permanently and fulltime job in Singapore , I have a house in UK and finally my wife will not be joining me - she is currently working down to her retirement in march 2017. so does this have an impact ?
In terms of the rebate .how is this calculated ?
since I will be leaving during a period in which I will be earning which means there is a period from 17th Oct to 31st October where I will be earning in both UK and Singapore - clearly I will not have had my P45 until after 31st to submit. would the PILON payment be tax free since I would not be in UK?

Thank you for your reply.

As you will not be spending more than more than 90 days in the UK after you have left, you would be classed as non resident (2 have two ties).

HMRC will calculate the rebate from your tax return when you file one for the current tax year.

Pilon is based on your services in the UK to end of Oct and they will not be tax free as they would be shown on your P45 with tax deduction as appropriate.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorryI have never filed tax return before as have been on PAYE. can I file on in October once I get my P45 and will rebate be given before tax year has ended .. It looks like I am going to need some help - do you offer the service to manage the whole process and what are your fees?

Thank you for your reply..

You say you have a property in Manchester and your own home.

Is the apartment let or will it be let once you leave the UK?

If you don't file a tax return then you will need to send the P45 with P85.

I will be happy to manage the process.. please come back to this thread when you are ready. and we will discuss it then. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes