How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have been non resident for tax purposes since 1998. When

Customer Question

I have been non resident for tax purposes since 1998. When first leaving the country Nattiest bank based in cheltenham filed my returns and after several years they said it was no longer necessary.
I have been offered a job in the UK and wish to return.
Am I correct in assuming that my overseas earnings for this tax year will be subject to UK tax should I become resident for tax within this tax year.
Also want to assume that this is the only year which would be scrutinized, not that I am bothered about that but my potential employer is will to pick up this years tax burden to entice me back. I don't want to complicate matters with them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you were to become resident in the UK for tax purposes, then split year treatment will apply in that your earnings from the date of arrival to end of tax year i.e 5 Apr 2017 would be chargeable to UK income tax.

Your overseas earnings before coming to the UK would not be chargeable to UK income tax.

There is no reason why earlier years would be scrutinized if you were non resident and did not have any income arising in the UK that has not been disclosed e.g. income from property in the UK.

More information on split year treatment under Statutory Residence Test on pages 3 and 4 here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Expert: replied 1 year ago.

HI there

Just checking to see if you require any clarification or has I answered your question.

Many thanks