Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)

I have recently started a new job. Is there a certain amount

Customer Question

I have recently started a new job. Is there a certain amount I can earn before I pay tax, or does it carry on from my last job.In other words does my income start afresh.
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Expert: replied 1 year ago.

If you have been given a P45 by your last employer then you would hand that over to your new employer. In this case income does not start afresh.

If on the other hand you have a tax code that says W1 or M1 .. here each month is a independent month. In this case, you would get your personal allowance on a monthly basis as opposed to cumulative basis.

More information on tax codes and their application can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.