How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17125
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

What will be the tax on rental income for a non UK tax

This answer was rated:

What will be the tax on rental income for a non UK tax resident?

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

You can get your rent either:

  • in full and pay tax through Self Assessment - if HMRC allows you to do this
  • with tax already deducted by your letting agent or tenant

If you want to pay tax on your rental income through Self Assessment, fill in form NRL1i and send it back to HMRC.

If your application is approved, HMRC will tell your letting agent or tenant not to deduct tax from your rent and you’ll need to declare your income in your Self Assessment tax return.

If you do not request or you are not approved then your tax is deducted from rent.

Your letting agent or tenant will:

  • deduct basic rate tax from your rent (after allowing for any expensesthey’ve paid)
  • give you a certificate at the end of the tax year saying how much tax they’ve deducted

The basic rate is 20%.

If you rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) I am credited with responding. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you