How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am looking for a Tax Advisor to help to define my position

Customer Question

I am looking for a Tax Advisor to help to define my position and make a register in HM Revenue & Customs.
I’m an EU National and just moved in UK from 1st of Jun this year.
Before move to UK, I was worked in Hong Kong with my Employer almost 10years.
After moved to UK, my employer in Hong Kong requested me to keep monitoring their operations and keep release a payroll to me as monthly autopay to my Hong Kong Bank Account.
And I will make an internal bank transfer from my Hong Kong bank account to UK bank account by monthly base as an income record from Jun till now.
I have no idea about the taxation system here in UK. Not sure my case can be treat it as freelancer or not.
Can you introduce a tax advisor to me? I want the service for help me declare my personal income in UK.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year [6 April - 5 April] you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. You should register as self employed; the procedure can be found here:

At the end of each tax year HMRC will send you a self assessment tax return to complete. The income you receive from Hong Kong will be subject to UK Income Tax. As a citizen of the EEA you are entitled to a Personal Allowance, currently 11K, to offset this income. The UK has a Double Taxation Treaty with HK which precludes the same income stream from being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax paid in HK, if any, being allowed against the UK liability.

Just Answer protocol does not permit me to make recommendations of individual practitioners, but your return's completion would be well within the capability of any local practitioner and, quite frankly, you could do it yourself it is so simple. Just ensure that you maintain adequate records which you are clearly already doing.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.