Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)

I am to receive an inheritance from my aunt who was domicile

I am to receive an inheritance from my aunt who was domicile in switzerland. The inheritance is from what she owned in the Dutch bank account.
If i receive the money in my english bank account do i then need to pay taxes over this in the UK too?
The tax on this inheritance is already paid in the netherlands

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

As a recipient of a legacy, you don't have to pay any tax on it.. you would receive it free of tax.

You should however alert your receiving bank of the impending receipt to comply with money laundering regulations.

You would only pay tax on any gain you make on the money once invested and or any interest earned on it.

You don't report the inheritance on your tax return either.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you fo raccepting my answer.

Best wishes

Your reward of a bonus is greatly appreciated.