How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife sold our home (main residence, solely in her name)

This answer was rated:

My wife sold our home (main residence, solely in her name) last year, but the profit left over after the purchase of our new home (in both our names) was directly deposited with me.
Do I/she have anything to pay on this amount? In my eyes, it's a transfer of assets between spouses, and therefore not liable for anything...

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You are absolutely correct, inter spousal transfers are outside the scope of UK taxation.

The sale of a sole or main domestic residence attracts Private Residence Relief (PRR) which is granted automatically and relieves any gain made at 100%. Many people do not realise that when they sell their houses and make a gain that there is a possible Capital Gains Tax (CGT) liability as for the majority PRR relieves that tax.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support/

And your kind bonus also.