How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Is there any reliefs available for a property that was

This answer was rated:

is there any reliefs available for a property that was purchased and subsequently sold after major works. the client did have intention to move in but didn't. so there is no PRR, tried that with HMRC.
any Roll over or Hold Over, anything.?
I personally don't think there is and the client will be stung with a fat CGT bill.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

I'm afraid not.

If the property was sold soon after the works were completed, your client may be taxed on his profit as a property developer as opposed to CGT by HMRC. I'd be inclined to disclose it as a gain given that there was an intention to live in the property.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


thanks for that.

would it have made any difference if the property was in a Ltd company.


If the property is already in a limited company, then the company will pay corporation tax on the profit. If it isn't, then putting it into a company will give rise to a gain if the seller and buyer (the company) are connected.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you