How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My 95 year old mother owns a property which is rented out to

This answer was rated:

My 95 year old mother owns a property which is rented out to a tenant. My mother is also a tenant in supported accommodation. Can the rent she pays be offset against the rent she receives?

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

I'm afraid that the rent your mother pays for her accommodation cannot be claimed as an expense against the rent she receives from the letting of the property she owns. Take a look here for information on letting expenses that can be claimed.

I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you