TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.

My 95 year old mother owns a property which is rented out to

My 95 year old mother owns a property which is rented out to a tenant. My mother is also a tenant in supported accommodation. Can the rent she pays be offset against the rent she receives?

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

I'm afraid that the rent your mother pays for her accommodation cannot be claimed as an expense against the rent she receives from the letting of the property she owns. Take a look here for information on letting expenses that can be claimed.

I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.