How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14153
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My brother died last October at the age of 55 l have just

This answer was rated:

My brother died last October at the age of 55 l have just received a payment of £58.000 from Global in Hong Kong from a pension he invested out there. As well as this he had a pension with prudential for 32.000 with which they sent information to keep for the HMRC. Do l pay tax on this and how do l do it .


Thanks for your question- I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Did this payment come to you directly or through your late brothers estate - have you a solicitor handling your brothers estate?

As all of the monies or assets he holds will just need to be reviewed for Inheritance tax - if as yet you have done nothing then you should go through the advsie on the Gov website link here

If your brother was working it may well be he is owed tax overpaid - so its often best to get a solicitor to mange everything in one place and ensure all the relevant legal aspects are undertaken as if any tax is due on these amounts its not on you but the estate to pay.

Let me know if I can assist further - I am due to head out to client meetings soon but will be back later this afternoon/early evening if you have any follow up questions



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you