How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have received a letter from HMRC "Notice warning of

Customer Question

I have received a letter from HMRC "Notice warning of enforement
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I owe 17k in corporation taxes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Juat Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As an individual you cannot owe Corporation Tax (CT). Only companies are liable to CT. Could you please expand on your question a little?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is for my Limited Liability company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My business is no longer trading and I now work fulltime. I do have to capacity to make payments month, but not a lot.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Well, basically, if the tax is owed it must be paid. Failure could result in penalties being imposed and in the long run a winding up petition. However, it is not your personal liability and if the company has insufficient funds to meet the bill then HMRC should be so advised. It is nothing to do with you although HMRC would like it to be and tend address letters couched in those terms, often accompanied with dire threats which are actually unenforceable.

I would not advise personal payments. You and your company are entirely different legal entities.

I do hope that I have shown you a way out of the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What action can I take to stop them from visiting me or sending this letters in the future?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

They have no right of admittance anyway and you merely tell them that their actions constitute debt harassment particularly as you are not personally liable. As for letters they will tend to continue to write until they get bored and then they will sell the debt on to a collection agency. You adopt exactly the same approach with them.